Monday, January 18, 2016

Module 4 Assignment Disruptive Technologies


     Dr. Thornburg proposes the idea that disruptive technologies disrupt what is going on in that you are on one trajectory and and something brand new pops in a sort of wild card fashion.(Laureat Education, 2014) Utilizing this definition I am not sure that Google glass is so much a disruption as it is an intrusion. One of the most prevalent areas of concern for me that cause me to look at this from this particular perspective is the issue of privacy. For me the privacy issues created by Google Glass is a grave concern. Hong(2013) argues that privacy concerns can be minimized through the hands on use of technology by the masses will which he argues will assist people to see the value  thereby encouraging acceptance and possibly different perceptions about privacy expectations.  While I understand the draw to the geek side of this device I have serious concerns about recording and posting without someones consent. If the person does not know that they are being recorded have they been given the option to say I don't want you to do this. 
     A prime example for me is a recent free course that I took at the library. One of the librarians was taking pictures for the library Facebook page and didn't tell participants when she started what the pictures were for or where they were going. One of my co-participants in the  workshop was someone with a high level security clearance that prohibited social media posting. This may be an isolated example but due to the metropolitan area in which I live with many delegates, emissaries, politicians and of course the White House and all that this entails I have to feel like this would be even more of a concern. I have also worked with people living in shelters who may have been running from abusive spouses. Without informed consent you have put these people and if they are parents their children in danger unintentionally yes but it is still a concern. Glauser(2013) presents a current barrier to implementation in the medical field that relates to this privacy concern. There is the potential for Google Glass to be used as part of electronic medical records but HIPAA laws prohibit the processing of patient medical records through third party organizations, By using the Google Glass patient information would have to pass through Google servers causing privacy concerns.  
     The applications in the field of Special Education seem endless to me when I think about some of the non ambulatory or nonverbal students that I have worked with in the past. A device that allows them to control it with a head movement could be groundbreaking. Similar to the experiences of medical practitioners discussed by Glauser (2013) the videos could be used as a training point. Sometimes I do not feel that people who work with people with disabilities realize how condescending and overbearing they are to the patients/clients/students they are working with. A video that shows them their interactions from the perspective of the receiver may help in self reflection and possible behavior modifications. 
      Google Glass displaces personal handheld or headmounted recording devices. I do not see the technology being displaced in the near future due to all the potential uses that have been found but not yet attempted. Once the immediate usage concerns and cost are addressed it may be more widely accepted.
   
References

Glauser, W. (2013). Doctors among early adopters of Google Glass.Canadian Medical Association. Journal185(16), 1385.
Hong, J. (2013). Considering privacy issues in the context of Google glass.Commun. ACM56(11), 10-11.

Laureate Education (Producer). (2014). David Thornburg: Disruptive technologies [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.



4 comments:

  1. Like you too am worried about privacy and recording. Being the victim of a former bad news boyfriend kept me off social media sites for quite sometime.
    In regards to googe glass I read one report that said the glass would or could have some kind of fogged over look to it, letting everyone know that they were recording. I still do not see that as being a solution. I don't always notice all the people around me. I'm not sure if google glass can find a work around for this privacy matter. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kori, in my professional career I have worked with students in foster care and living in shelters. In one of my first jobs as a professional I had a family that was literally running from the father. To this end I was always hypervigilant about what pictures were taken (the organization was always looking for ways to prove that their pedagogy was sound and worth replicating so someone was always taking pictures) and about surreptitiously positioning the two children so they were never in the picture. In reference to the fogged look I have to wonder if that would impact the wearer. Then I also have to wonder if the person being recorded would know what it meant. If the person like you avoided social media sites where things like this would be discussed would they know that they were in danger before it was too late to fix it.

      Delete
  2. I certainly understand the privacy issues involved with the camera. I believe that there have also been some issues with the asymmetrical or lopsided design. There is also the high cost for limited functionality. Even with these initial road blocks this issue or some form of it could in time change the way we interact with the digital world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joshua, I am so easily distracted that I have to think that having something in my line of vision that was asymmetrical would drive me nuts. I do agree that it is very cost prohibitive. How do you see it changing how we interact with the digital world?

      Delete